11.29.2012

*On the ripped-ness of pants

[Coat: J.Crew (similar), Sweater: H&M (similar), Necklace: Macy's (similar), Jeans: Gap (similar), Shoes: BCBG (similar), Bag: Jessica Simpson (similar)]

A few days ago a friend of mine experienced something most of us only see in movies. Sporting the classic sweatshirt-tied-around-the-waist look, he exclaimed that earlier he had kneeled down and, in a middle-school-nightmare sort of way, ripped the back of his pants. And we’re talkin’ RIPPED. More ripped than Pauly D. ...or Mr. T.

This hilarious adaptation of Spongebob Squarepants’s ripped pants calamity got me thinking about the fashion world’s fascination with ripped jeans and why my friend’s accident can’t be seen as a fashion statement. Maybe it’s a bold 'avant-garde' look? Rips in the front, rips in the back? My question for you now, is:

How ripped is too ripped?

Below, a progression of ripped-ness seen on the street. 
I’ve always been fond of having my jeans look like I pulled them out of a garbage bin, took a few tumbles on the sidewalk, and refused to wash them for three months; maybe now is the time to take that style a step further.

Before I venture further into this trend's , I decided to give my own pair of jeans a tiny rip revolution. You can see I was quite modest (lest we forget the purpose of this pair is to shield me from the weather). I was cleaning, I got bored, so I took a knife to my jeans. That’s not normal? Psychotic, even? Nevertheless, I stopped myself before getting carried away (reference above-right image).

How ripped would you wear your jeans, on a scale of Urkel to Gerard Butler? 

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. I love this "trend" myself but it can go a little crazy, I feel like if your jeans are so ripped that everyone can see stuff they should see the you have gone way to far. After saying that I say go for it go rip happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice look honey ! love the pop of color of your shoes ! have a nice weekend !

    XX Luba

    :: Well Living Blog :: shaggy jacket & flared jeans in my look today
    http://very-well-living.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these photos! Your necklace and heels are amazing!

    www.daisyraeboutique.com
    www.kacieskloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thinglink Plugin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...